Egg And Coke Experiment
The guy in this video decided to see what would happen if he soaked an egg in Coca-Cola for a whole year. The video shows that the eggshell has dissolved in the soda pop and left behind a rubbery egg. The video provides some information about what is going on in this reaction, but I want to give a little more information about eggshells and Coke.
To start with, according to General Chemistry, eggshells are made of "calcium carbonate (the same brittle white stuff that chalk, limestone, cave stalactites, sea shells, coral, and pearls are made of)." This makes up 95% of the shell and the other 5% is "calcium phosphate and magnesium carbonate and soluble and insoluble proteins."
Now for Coca-Cola. According to a document from Coca-Cola HBC, Coke is comprised of: water, sugar, low and no-calorie sweeteners, Caramel E 150d, natural flavors, natural caffein, phosphoric acid, and carbon dioxide. The ingredient pointed out in the video is phosphoric acid, which has a variety of uses. According to Wikipedia, it can be used as a: rust inhibitor, food additive, dental and orthop(a)edic etchant, electrolyte, flux, dispersing agent, industrial etchant, fertilizer feedstock, and component of home cleaning products." You may look at this list and be disgusted that what is in your drink is also in your cleaning supplies, but remember that we also consume baking soda and vinegar and those are both able to be used as cleaning supplies as well.
While this video wouldn't make me stop drinking Coke entirely, I think it serves as a good reminder of what some of the drinks we consume can be doing to us. Share your thoughts on this chemical reaction in the comments below.