What was wrong with this story?
Parents notice something wrong with baby, discover hair wrapped around her toe
April 25, 2017
Baby Molly gave her parents quite a fright when they removed one of her socks and encountered a harrowing sight. Now, Scott Walker wants other parents to be aware of what happened to his daughter, as it could as easily happen to another baby.
There are few things as precious as teeny baby toes, but a seemingly harmless object almost cost a baby in Wichita, Kan., one of hers. In a Facebook post published on Jan. 21, 2016, Walker shares a photo of his daughter Molly's foot, along with a retelling of the alarming incident. According to the post, Molly was "cranky and screaming," and the tantrum she was throwing had caused her to overheat. In an attempt to appease her upset infant, Jessica Walker, Molly's mother, removed the baby's socks — only to discover the cause of the child's suffering.
As evidenced by the photo below, Molly's toe was red and swollen because a hair had inadvertently wrapped itself tightly around the digit, effectively cutting off blood flow and causing pain. Walker describes his wife as possessing "medical emergency superpowers" as a registered nurse, and she was able to remove the hair with the help of a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers. Unfortunately, Walker notes that the hair had become so tightly wound that it broke the skin, and the redness and swelling persisted even 45 minutes after the hair had been removed. He remains positive, however, and muses, "it could have been worse had it gone much longer untreated, or if the hair wasn't accessible."
According to Baylor Scott & White Health, hair tourniquet syndrome occurs most frequently in infants under 4 months because mothers are most prone to hair loss due to hormonal changes at that time. The tourniquet can also develop from a loose thread or string. While the tourniquet most typically winds itself around a finger or toe, Baylor Scott & White Health writes that it "may also develop around the penis, scrotum, labia, wrist, or ankle. In severe cases, a hair tourniquet can lead to infection or tissue death." To prevent tourniquets from forming, be sure to bathe your baby and change his or her clothing frequently. If your child is inexplicably inconsolable, check for the redness or swelling associated with hair tourniquet syndrome.