What was wrong with this story?
Mom warns other parents about 9-month-old severely burnt by water hose
March 18, 2017
Most parents know that leaving their child in a hot car is dangerous. Parents teach their kids to stay away from hot stoves and matches, and they slather on sunscreen before letting them run out in the yard on hot summer days. But many parents may not realize that the water in their garden hose can be just as dangerous. An Arizona mom is speaking out to warn parents after her 9-month-old was burned, according to ABC 15.
Dominique Woodger wanted to fill a small pool with water so her son could play. But the hose, which was connected to a sprinkler, already had water sitting in it, and that hose had been sitting out in the hot son. When she turned the hose on, water from the sprinkler head sprayed her son in the face.
"I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face. I didn't think it was burning him," Woodger told ABC 15.
Captain Larry Subervi, a Phoenix firefighter, told reporters that when temperatures soar to 115 degrees, water in the hoses can reach up to 150 degrees and that exposure to water that hot can cause a second-degree burn in less than 30 seconds.
Woodger's son was treated for second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body. Much of his skin was red, and blisters had formed in some areas, according to ABC 15. The boy was treated and released, and Woodger said he would be fine, but she wants other parents to be aware of the danger.
"Just be careful. Just touch it (the water) before you spray -- before you let your kids near it," she told reporters.