When you take your kids to the beach, you might expect to come home with a little bit of sunburn, a few seashells and maybe a bit of swimmer's ear. Most parents don't expect to bring home a bacterial skin infection called impetigo. 

Advertisement
But, that's exactly what Nicole Sullivans daughter, Bella, 6, came home with after a routine day at Huntington Beach in Newport Va, early this month. 

According to WTKR, Sullivan said her daughter developed a rash the same day she went swimming.  Initially, Sullivan thought her daughter had a poison ivy rash, so she applied some itch relief medication. But, by the next morning, things had taken a turn for the worse. 

"Tuesday morning she woke up and both eyes were completely closed shut and she was completely swollen, her face, her neck, her arms also.," Sullivan said, according to WTKR. 

Doctors told Sullivan her daughter had contracted impetigo from bacteria in the water, which had gotten inside a cut on her body. 

Impetigo is a common skin infection that affects mostly children, according to The Mayo Clinic.  While it's not considered dangerous, it is very contagious. Children can be exposed to the infection through toys, blankets or clothing. The infection most commonly enters the body through broken skin, an injury or a bug bite, according to The Mayo Clinic. 

Environmental Health experts recommend staying out of open water, especially following a storm, for at least 24 to 48 hours if you have any open cuts. 

The Peninsula Environmental Health District ordered three swimming advisories between May 25th and June 8th for higher-than-normal bacteria levels in the water, according to WTKR. 

Sullivan recommends making sure your child doesn't have any open sores before heading to the beach. "I wouldn't want anything like that to happen to other kids, it's very painful," she said.