Unless you grow your own food, grocery shopping is a necessary part of life. Though online grocery shopping exists, it’s not as pervasive as in-person shopping. One of the things most people don’t think about when they grab that shopping cart is how many other people have touched it before them.

Advertisement
One Australian mom is using social media to warn people to rethink their approach to shopping carts. The mom, Vivienne Wardrop, took her infant son Logan with her to the grocery store. She didn’t have a blanket to put underneath Logan, so she just put him in the shopping cart. She also neglected to use the sanitary wipes near the shopping carts to wipe down the cart before placing Logan in the front.

Unbeknownst to Wardrop, when she left the store, in addition to her purchase, she also took home a bevy of germs.

She said on Facebook that the day after her shopping trip, Logan woke up sick, so she took him to the hospital. Wardrop said that doctors determined that her son had contracted adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella poisoning, and meningitis. "We were scared we were going to lose [him]. It didn't seem like [the doctors] were able to get him under control because they didn't know what was wrong with him," Wardrop told Daily Mail Australia according to Yahoo News. Logan spent eight days in intensive care.

Logan was in intensive care for eight days, according to Yahoo News, and will need at least two weeks recovery time, Wardrop said on Facebook.