As much as it pains us to read stories like this, they're important to share so that others don't make the same mistake. When two sisters living in Tallaght, a city in South Dublin started chatting with two men they'd met on Facebook, they thought their interactions were harmless. After a few weeks of communicating with the men, the sisters agreed to meet the pair for drinks in Newbridge, Co Kildare, a city approximately 30 miles southwest of Tallaght. 

It didn't take long for the sisters to realize that they'd just stepped inside their worst nightmare. After exhibiting odd behavior, the men turned violent and started beating the sisters profusely. The girls describe the horrific night in detail and want to use their experience to encourage others to be careful when meeting strangers online. Fortunately, the sisters are on their way to recovery. Read their story and share with others. 

Tallaght, Co. Dublin sisters beaten up in an attempted ransom after meeting up with two men they'd originally met on Facebook. 

Sisters Nicole Rice, 19, and Amy, 21, didn't suspect any danger when they started talking to two men they met on Facebook. The girls reported that the men seemed nice and after coordinating a meet-up for drinks, the girls traveled to Newbridge, Co Kildare where they met the men at a bus stop. 

The Rice sisters then accompanied the men back to an apartment in Newbridge town centre. According to the girls, it wasn't long before one of the men started acting odd. Taking note of this, Nicole got up to leave the apartment, which is when the men attacked. 

Amy told the Irish Independent that, "They started to get aggressive and my sister got up to leave...and one of them pulled her hair, pushed her to the ground and started kicking her in the head."

When Amy jumped in to try and save her sister, the other man turned to attack her. 

Amy later went on to tell the Independent that the men laughed with each other as they beat up her and her sister. 

"They tied us up with rags and put them on our mouths and just kept laughing and laughing as they beat us up."

As the men continued to fire blows at the girls, they told them to call someone who would pay them a ransom so they could be set free. However, when the Rice sisters responded by telling them that their family didn't have that kind of money, the men became even angrier and attacked them further. 

"Nicole made a run to the corridor outside and fell on the stairs trying to get away and passed out at the bottom. They thought she was dead and started ringing people on the phone and saying they needed to dig holes in the Wicklow mountains as they didn't know what to do with these girls," Amy explained.

The last thing Amy remembered before blacking out is seeing her sister's body lying lifeless at the bottom of the stairs. 

“I was so scared,” Amy said. “I thought we were going to die, I was full sure they were going to kill us. They eventually let us go at about 3 p.m. and said if we went to the guards they would kill us and our family.”

Upon being released, the sisters fled from the apartment, covered in blood and bruises and waved down a man driving by with his two children. The driver immediately took the girls to the hospital where they were treated for severe head injuries; Amy acquired what doctors suspect is a fractured jaw and Nicole a broken nose.

Both sisters told the Irish Independent that they want to use this experience to warn others about the dangers of meeting people online. 

We know that not every story has the same outcome as this one, but it's extremely important to exercise caution when communicating with strangers online, especially if things escalate to physically meeting with one another.