Most new parents worry about potential baby-dangers like choking, SIDS and suffocation. But, one mother realized that some dangers come is the guise of a helper like ibuprofen. Finley Kirwan,15-months, was admitted to the hospital just days after Christmas for a life-threatening skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to medication, according to Metro

His parents, Danielle Hart, 32 and Dan Kirwan, 35, took him to the hospital after he developed a high fever, a bright red rash, and difficulty swallowing, according to Metro. 

Doctors finally diagnosed Finley with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome which is a dangerous skin rash typically caused by an allergic reaction to medication. This syndrome caused Finley's organs to fail and doctors worried he might not survive. They think that he had an allergic reaction to a liquid ibuprofen  according to Metro. 


Finley stayed in the hospital for three weeks while he recovered from his near death experience. While he is home, doctors say he could face more serious problems including Asthma, permanent scarring or cardiac disease in the next few weeks or months, according to MILNE.  

His mother said she was terrified when her began to get sick. "I was horrified when Finley's skin started to blister, his lips were black and a red rash was covering his entire body. We had no idea what was happening to him, but we knew it was life threatening," Hart said, according to Metro. 

Hart says she is grateful they made the decision to take him to the hospital. "We could've easily put him to bed that night thinking he would be better in the morning, but Stevens Johnson Syndrome progresses so fast he wouldn't have had a chance," she said to the Daily Mail. 

Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) can be fatal and is typically related to allergic reactions to antibiotics, seizure medications, anti-depressants and anti-inflammatory drugs (like ibuprofen). Typical signs of the syndrome include blistering of the skin, fever, difficulty breathing and darkening of the lips, according to MILNE Stevens Johnson Syndrome Society.